Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Question about Jesus in Luke 22

By Mitchell Lynn


Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, with school and work it has been hard to find time to write, but I am working on a post about holding your tongue, and another about fear.

Knowing that we have some smart people reading this blog, I wanted to throw a question out there for debate: Recently Jesus' words in Luke 22:36-38 have caught me off guard. These words are often skimmed in Jesus' crucifixion story, but I think they have massive significance.

Right after Jesus tells Simon/Peter that He will be betrayed by him three times Jesus says: ""When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?"
"Nothing," they answered. He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. It is written: 'And he was numbered with the transgressors'; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment. "The disciples said, "See, Lord, here are two swords."

"That is enough," he replied.

These words were hard to digest, yet I think I have come to a conclusion on what Jesus meant. However, I would like to hear your thoughts. Be sure to put his words in the context of what happens later. In Matthew's gospel, after cutting off the ear of the servant of the high priest, Jesus says to Peter:

Put your sword back in its place," Jesus said to him, "for all who draw the sword will die by the sword. Do you think I cannot call on my Father, and he will at once put at my disposal more than twelve legions of angels? But how then would the Scriptures be fulfilled that say it must happen in this way?"

Why did Jesus tell His disciples to get swords, and then disciplines them for using them?

Did Jesus know what his "mission" was at this point?

What was Jesus trying to accomplish here?

Comment and let me know what you think...

No comments:

Post a Comment

1. We do not have to reply to your comments. If we feel like responding to your comment then we will do so. However, we reserve the right to not respond to anyone. This is our blog. We do not have to reply to critical comments on our posts. We may, we may not.

2. Thanks for stopping by. But remember, YOU are stopping by. It was your choice. This is our "home." This is our blog. You are simply passing through. Show some respect.

3. This is a blog ran by Christians. Therefore we will uphold our Christian values. No cussing. Do not use God's name in vain (capitalize His name too). Show some respect. If you are a Christian, then keep in mind Who you are representing. If you are not a Christian, please see rule two. You are the guest here and therefore, agree with our values, beliefs, ect. or not, you must follow the rules.

4. We reserve the right to delete any posts we want to. Sorry.

5. We don't allow anonymous comments.

Questions? Comments?

We would love to hear from readers:

thematt20@msn.com, MJLynn24@gmail.com

Proclaim His Excellence